You’ve probably experienced water damage first hand at some point in your life, whether it was as child, in an apartment you were renting, or in your very own home.
Maybe you even had to remedy water damage when you purchased the home you live in now. After all, it’s pretty common when houses sit unoccupied for some period of time during the sale process.
However, what you may not realize is that water damage can actually create mold inside your home.
We’re not talking about the type of mold you find on the cheese in the refrigerator, either. We are talking about mold that can be very dangerous for your health.
How dangerous molds can be actually depends on the type of mold. Learn more about the dangers of mold formation after water damage, what you can do to prevent mold from forming, and how you can get rid of mold if you’re too late to stop it.
Minor Mold Irritation
Right after water damage occurs in a home, and the mold is just starting form, most people will only suffer minor irritation. This is also the case when water has been cleaned up, and the mold is no longer growing in the home.
Typically, minor irritation means very basic things like a little bit of skin irritation, or coughing when spending time in the area of the mold. Sinus congestion, red watery eyes, and sneezing can also be problems for many people.
Generally people do not come into contact with molds in a home that occurs due to water damage because it’s typically inside the walls where it cannot be seen.
However, individuals who come into contact with mold – perhaps while cleaning it up, or checking to make sure a water leak has stopped – can suffer more severe irritation.
Unless the mold has had a chance to sit for a long period of time and fester though, most people will not come down with serious health problems unless they have a weak immune system.
Moderate to Severe Mold Damage
Moderate to severe mold inside a home usually only occurs when water is leaking for a long time, or water damage is left to fester for long periods. While many people will only notice a few symptoms when it comes to their health, it’s basic symptoms like these that will be exacerbated.
In addition to the basic symptoms of minor mold irritation, like sneezing and red eyes, individuals exposed to moderate to severe mold may also develop sinus infections, severe coughs and fungal infections inside the body because of exposure to mold.
In the case of very severe types of mold such as black mold, individuals can actually suffer greatly, and need to be hospitalized, often finding it difficult to breathe.
Over time, black mold and other very serious forms of mold can lead to irreparable harm to the lungs and even death.
Preventing Mold Buildup
While you might do everything within your power to keep water damage from happening inside your home, there’s just no way to make sure that it doesn’t occur.
The best thing you can do is to check your pipes, water heater, and any area around your home that has water access on a regular basis. If you don’t, you could wind up with serious damage that will cost you a lot of money to fix.
The best thing you can do once water damage happens is to deal with it as soon as possible.
Dealing with Mold at Home
Some homeowners mistakenly believe that they can handle water damage on their own if it doesn’t last very long. The truth is that unless you’re dealing with outdoor water damage on surfaces made to be exposed to the elements, it’s not safe to do the job on your own.
Hire mold remediation professionals who understand the health risks behind mold and can clear your home of all dangers.
Robert Matheka is the Owner of Kala Construction Inc.., a leading water damage repairs. and restoration services provider in Ontario, CA. Our services include extraction of water and drying out the structure by using special extraction equipment, air movers, and dehumidification equipment to restore your property back to normal after a disaster.