Water damage can cause mold growth in crawl spaces. There are a number of factors that may contribute to mold growth including low-quality building designs, inferior construction materials, and warm climates.
How Crawl Space Is at Risk?
Older crawl spaces have vents to reduce the risk of contamination, which further adds to mold issues because it brings moist, warm outdoor air full of microorganism and spores from the soil right into a home.
What to Do for Mold Remediation?
If you discover mold growth in your crawl space, it’s critical to identify and address the problem in a timely fashion. The sooner you can get rid of mold, the less time that it has to spread and create even more problems.
There are 7 primary tactics for removing mold growth:
- Isolate.The first tactic is to isolate the damaged regions and get rid of the moisture source.
- Identify.The second tactic is to identify the source of the growth and get rid of the affected region.
- Clean.In order to get rid of the mold growth and restore the crawl space to its original condition, you’ll need to clean out the entire crawl space.
- Insulate.If necessary, you may have to install a vapor barrier and new insulation including air duct lines insulation.
- Repair.In many instances, mold growth damages the floors, which requires repair. The space should be sanitized and deodorized to wipe out any bad smells.
- Eliminate.If there are water problems, such as issues with the sump pump, you must solve them to avoid further mold growth. The last thing that you want is to wipe out all of the molds and then discover that it’s back six months later.
- Call Professionals.If you’re in need of full mold remediation, consult with a professional mold removal service to ensure that the job gets done the right way thefirst time around.
Robert Matheka is the Owner of Kala Construction Inc., a leading Water damage and Water damage restoration services provider in Ontario, CA. Our services include extraction of water and drying out the structure by using special extraction equipment, air movers, and dehumidification equipment to restore your property back to normal after a disaster.