When it comes to preserving the environment, you don’t have to travel across the world to make a difference. In fact, you can start right at your own home. There is an array of options to choose from when it comes to making your home more eco-friendly.
Here are 8 ways to have a more eco-friendly home:
1. Replace your fluorescent light bulbs with CFLs. You might not realize it but CFLs save three quarters as much electricity than other light bulbs.
2. Switch one or more of your appliances to an energy star energy efficient model to save more on electricity bills.
3. It might seem cliché but turning off lights really does save you money and help with the environment. When leaving a room, always turn any lights off that you can. In the same aspect, try not to turn the lights on when possible; open your blinds and let the natural light come in!
4. If you tend to run a lot of errands, make one trip a week rather than a few trips a week.
5. Washing your clothes in hot water is a big issue when it comes to being greener. Instead, use warm or if possibly use cold water for your laundry.
6. Support your local businesses and start purchasing all your fruits and veggies from local farmers. They are fresh, have great taste and help you contribute to the local economy. In the same sense you can also support local restaurants and farmers by only dining at restaurants that use local foods.
7. Before buying something brand new, be sure to check out classified websites and sites like Freecycle.org.
8. Insulation is another simple but big issue in becoming greener and saving more money on electricity. Make sure that your home is updated with the latest insulation technology to ensure that your home stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter.